Posts may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Carrot and lentil soup is a hearty, flavorful, and healthy soup packed with fresh vegetables and greens. It is a perfect comforting meal for the entire family to enjoy on a chilly day. This is also a great make-ahead freezer meal. I usually make large batches to freeze for my meal planning for a quick lunch or dinner during a busy week.
Be sure to also check out our Healthy Vegan Moroccan Lentil Soup to add to your collection of simple, delicious, and nutritious weeknight meals.
This easy sweet potato lentil soup contains a variety of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential vitamins. It is also excellent for anyone who is enjoying a vegan, gluten-free, low-calorie, dairy-free, or low-fat lifestyle.
The health benefits of eating lentils
Lentils are often overlooked even though they have numerous health benefits. Check out below why you should be including lentils in your regular diet if you are already not.
- Lentils are a great source of plant based protein, packed with fiber and many essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B, magnesium, zinc and potassium.
- High fiber content in lentils aids in improving digestive health and helps in weight loss by keeping you full for a long time.
- Lentils are made up of more than 25% protein which makes them an excellent meat alternative.
- They are a great source of iron, a mineral which is sometimes hard to get in vegetarian diets.
- With low glycemix index, they help manage blood sugar levels.
- They are an inexpensive way of getting wide variety of nutrients.
Why you should soak lentils before cooking them
Just like many other legumes, lentils contain natural compounds commonly referred to as ‘anti-nutrients’ which bind with nutrients like iron and zinc, making the minerals harder for us to absorb. These anti-nutrients can be reduced by soaking and cooking lentils. Soaking also improves digestion by removing unwanted compounds. Additionally, it decreases cooking time and improves texture.
To soak lentils for this sweet potato lentil soup, first, rinse the lentils under cold running water, take them in a large saucepan and completely cover them with water at least until a few inches above. Soak them for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 8 hours for maximum benefits. Discard the soaking water and rinse them 2 or 3 times before using them in the recipe. If you are in a time crunch, you can also soak them just for a few mins while you prep for the recipe.
Is lentil soup vegan?
Great hearty vegan lentil soup uses vegetable broth and is a great way for vegetarians and vegans to get more protein in their diets. Lentils are an excellent source of folate and fiber, low in fat and calories, and also a great plant–based source of iron and protein for a vegan or vegetarian diet. They’re a delicious swap for meat in many comfort foods like chilis, soups, and stews.
Is lentil soup good for weight loss?
Lentils are full of healthy plant-based protein and fiber which will curb your hunger and limit your calorie intake. Just one serving of this soup has 15g of protein and 20 g of protein. The high fiber in lentils also makes them a great choice for the heart and in managing blood pressure and cholesterol. This hearty vegan lentil soup has sweet potatoes which have a low glycemic index which causes a slower and smaller rise in blood sugar levels.
How to make carrot and lentil soup
Initially, wash and soak dry lentils for a minimum of 2 hours, and up to 8 hours for maximum benefits. If you’re in a rush, you could use the dry lentils without soaking, or just soak them for a few mins while prepping for the recipe. Always discard the soaking water and rinse the lentils 2 or 3 times after soaking before using them in the recipe.
Now start the prep work by chopping the carrots into slices, onion, tomato, and garlic into small pieces and, roughly chopping spinach. Also, peel the sweet potato and chop it into cubes.
Now heat olive oil over medium heat, in a large stockpot and saute the sliced carrots until slightly tender. Next, add the chopped onion and garlic and saute with carrot until slightly golden.
Then add chopped tomatoes and bay leaves (for nice fragrance) and saute until tomatoes are soft.
Next, add sweet potato cubes and fresh spinach leaves (roughly chop, if desired).
Also, add soaked lentils.
Finally add smoked paprika, dried oregano, fresh parsley roughly chopped, and vegetable stock. Start with 4 cups of stock and add the other 2 cups if needed. Cook for 30 to 40 mins or until everything is tender. Remove from the heat and serve this comforting carrot and lentil soup with a slice of fresh bread like ciabatta or baguette with herbed olive oil on top.
This soup can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. I also make large batches of this carrot and lentil soup and freeze it in pre-portioned containers to help with my meal planning. I take it out the night before and thaw it in the refrigerator to enjoy the next day for lunch or dinner. It can be stored in the freezer for 1-2 months.
Carrot and Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes
- large stock pot
- 1 Cup dry Lentils Soaked for 8 hours. Use any type of lentils, I used brown lentils.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika or sweet paprika
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Wash and soak dry lentils for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 8 hours. Always discard the soaking water and rinse the lentils 2 or 3 times after soaking before using them in the recipe.1 Cup dry Lentils
- Chop the carrots into slices, onion, tomato, and garlic into small pieces and, roughly chop spinach. Peel the sweet potato and chop it into cubes.1 yellow onion, 1 large sweet potato, 2 carrots, 3 garlic cloves, 1 cup packed fresh spinach, 2 tomatoes
How to make
- Start by heating olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot and saute the sliced carrots until slightly tender.2 tbsp olive oil, 2 carrots
- Next, add the chopped onion and garlic and saute with carrot until slightly golden.1 yellow onion, 3 garlic cloves
- Then add chopped tomatoes and bay leaves (for nice fragrance) and saute until tomatoes are soft.4 bay leaves, 2 tomatoes
- Next, add sweet potato cubes, fresh spinach leaves (roughly chop, if desired), soaked lentils, smoked paprika, dried oregano, fresh parsley roughly chopped, salt, ground black pepper, and vegetable stock. Start with 4 cups of stock and add the other 2 cups if needed.1 Cup dry Lentils, 1 large sweet potato, 4-6 cups vegetable stock, 1 cup packed fresh spinach, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cook for 30 to 40 mins or until everything is tender.
- If you’re in a rush, you could use the dry lentils without soaking, or just soak them for a few mins while prepping for the recipe. It is always a good practice as it reduces the antinutrients from the legumes. If you don’t have enough time to soak them, wash them carefully before use. Soaking will also reduce the cooking time and improve digestion!
- We love to eat this lentil soup with a slice of ciabatta or baguette on the side with herbed olive oil smeared on top.
Enjoy some of our other healthy soup recipes
Receive the Latest News
Discover the latest delicious recipes, restaurant reviews, travel guides, events, and my favorite lifestyle tips!